Who is Jorge Cervantes? In this article we’re going to be talking about a true inspiration in the world of cannabis.
Over the last few years cannabis has become much more socially accepted, and more people are consuming than ever; for both medicinal and recreational purposes. In places where you still can’t legally purchase cannabis, many people are beginning to grow their own weed too, rather than having to recur to the black market.
There are still many, many things to be learned about this plant, but have you ever stopped to think how we made it this far? Nowadays there’s been a significant cultural advance when it comes to the topic of cannabis, and with a simple click of a mouse you can find hundreds of articles and posts online about growing, smoking or extracting cannabis. The internet has made getting information much easier, as well as being the home of many cannabis activists, and of course it’s also the home of many of those who preach against the use of cannabis.
Before the age of the internet, however, people had to get their information on cannabis from books. There are two books that have been called The Cannabis Bible by many consumers and growers; one of them is Positive Cannabis by Wernard Bruining, founder of Positronics seed bank, and it contains a lot of information about growing as well as information on the prohibition of cannabis.
The second book that is widely known as The Cannabis Bible is a book that was written by the star of this article, Jorge Cervantes.
Jorge Cervantes wrote many books, although his book Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Grower’s Bible is an astonishing piece of work. It’s almost impossible to think of a subject regarding cannabis that this book doesn’t touch on. If you’re looking to avoid wasting time wrecking your head over issues with your grow, we wholeheartedly recommend this book as a solution to all of your problems.
Jorge Cervantes isn’t actually his real name; it’s a pseudonym used by George Von Patten, born in Oregon in 1953. He worked as a journalist to pay for his university studies abroad and in the United States. He first studied at the University of Valencia in Spain, and then he studied at the University of the Américas in Puebla, Mexico. Around 1969-1973 he was heavily interested in printing. Photography, news and jourlanism, and it was in Mexico where he discovered his passion for cannabis.
In 1976 Van Patten moved to Portland, Oregon, to be closer to his sickly father, and he graduated in the University of Portland in 1977. After graduating he traveled to Santa Barbara, California, where he and a partner began a botanical landscaping and gardening business; Sin Semilla was born.
He then took advantage of the legality loopholes of the time and he opened an illegal cannabis distribution point in Los Padres, near Santa Barbara. In 1979 him and his partner sold their gardening business to pay special attention to their cannabis plants.
In 1981 he married Estella Cervantes in Portland. He then decided to set up an indoor grow, and due to his obvious lack of information he began getting interested in analyzing, investigating and writing about growing cannabis. In 1983 he published his best-seller in the world of cannabis, and due to its importance it began being known as The Grower’s Bible.
Van Patten began selling his indoor product via the post, using his gardening company as a front, but in 1989 the DEA closed down his shop and 40 more around the country after an intense national investigation. Van Patten then re-titled his book so that he didn’t get into any legal issues.
Let’s back-track a bit: Van Patten had his own printing company called Van Patten Publishing; this allowed him to print his own books without any issues. In 1983 he published the first edition of his cannabis bible, which had just 96 pages.
Nowadays this book has been printed and re-printed, and it has a total of 1075 pages that are full of valuable information. The book has been translated into many languages; Dutch, French, German, Italian, Russian and Spanish.
In fact, many of the universities in the United States that offer courses on cannabis use his book as an actual text book for class; the amount of subjects and topics dealt with in this book are astonishing, you just have to have a look at the index to know. It’s also extremely handy as in one book you can find out everything you need about indoor, outdoor and hydroponic grows, which are subjects that Cervantes initially wrote about in separate books. The chapters in this manual range from how to pick the right seeds and how to grow them, to anything to do with cannabis such as flowering, growth, harvesting, light, substrate, flowerpots, pests, drying, curing and many more.
This practically guarantees that this book is without a doubt the best book for growers, and the most complete cannabis manual available. It’s almost impossible to think of a subject that the book doesn’t mention.
It’s written in an extremely clear, precise and easy to understand manner. It’s structure is so simple that it can be used by both novices and professional growers alike; there will always be something that you can learn from this book! It’s written in simple and clear language, making it understandable for all kinds of growers regardless of their experience level. Its 1075 pages are printed on photography paper and include an amazing amount of photographs, charts and a practical glossary of technical words that many growers use.
Of course, Van Patten wrote many more books and many of them have a long list of translations. Here’s a list of his other amazing works:
Van Patten Publications:
- The Cannabis Encyclopedia: The Definitive Guide to Cultivation & Consumption of Medical Marijuana, ISBN 9781878823342
- Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower’s Bible, ISBN 9781878823236
- Marijuana Grow Basics: the Easy Guide for Cannabis Aficionados, ISBN 9781878823373
- Marijuana Indoors: Five Easy Gardens, ISBN 9781878823274
- Marijuana Indoors:Guerrilla Growing, ISBN 9781878823281
- Marijuana: Jorge’s RX, ISBN 9781878823304
Books in foreign languages:
- Marihuana: horticultura del cannabis la biblia del cultivador MEDICO, ISBN 9781878823243
- Marijuana fundamentos de cultivo: guia facil para los aficionados al cannabis, ISBN 9781878823380
- Marijuana Horticulture(Russian Version), ISBN 9781878823359
- Marihuana: Orticoltura INDOOR/ OUTDOOR della cannabis La Bibbia, ISBN 9781878823335
Van Patten Books:
- Gardening Indoors with Soil & Hydroponics, 5th Edition, ISBN 9781878823328
- Hydroponic Basics, ISBN 9781878823250
- Gardening Indoors With Rockwool, ISBN 9781878823229
- Gardening Indoors with CO2, ISBN 9781878823199
- Gardening Indoors with Cuttings9781878823205
- Gardening Indoors with HID Lights, ISBN 9781878823212
- Culture en intérieur, Master Edition, ISBN 978-2-84594-114-4– Mama Editions
- Culture en intérieur, Basic Edition: ISBN 978-2-84594-113-7– Mama Editions
- Culture en intérieur, Mini Edition: ISBN 978-2-84594-115-1– Mama Editions
- Marihuana Drinnen: Alles über den Anbau im Haus, March 2003, ISBN 3907080920, ISBN 978-3907080924—Nachtschatten Verlag
- Marihuana Anbaugrundlagen: Der praktische Leitfaden für Cannabisfreunde, ISBN 3037881976
- DVD-Jorge Cervantes’ Cannabis Expeditions: The Green Giants of California609788803959
- Blu-ray: Jorge Cervantes’ Cannabis Expeditions: The Green Giants of California: UPC 609788803966
- Jorge Cervantes Ultimate Grow DVD
- Jorge Cervantes Ultimate Grow DVD, Volume 2
- Jorge Cervantes’ Ultimate Grow, Complete Box Set